Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Update on Allergies and Sinuses

I haven't had an allergy flare-up or sinus infection in more than a year now. Here are my latest thoughts in approximate order of importance:

Antibiotic Nasal Spray
I think this is the best thing I've tried lately. It goes along the same lines as the Betadine rinse (mentioned below), trying to kill/prevent bacteria without requiring a systemic antibiotic and the associated side-effects.When I feel a cold coming on, start getting nasal congestion, start noticing yellow mucus, etc. I'll use this spray for a few days. I haven't had a sinus infection since doing this. I've been using it more as a preventative measure, which is better than waiting for a full-blown sinus infection and then taking oral antibiotics.

I found some information online and spoke with my ENT.
  • http://www.mmpc.com/files/bactrobanrecipe.pdf
  • http://www.disease-treatment.com/showthread.php?t=9699
  • http://www.disease-treatment.com/showthread.php?t=9722
  • http://www.midwestsinus.com/treatment/nasal_washes_rinses/types_of_nasal_rinses
The recipe starts with Bactroban (Mupirocin) antibiotic cream which comes in a  tube. This is prescription-only. The cream version, not the ointment, is important for water solubility. I haven't seen anything about over-the-counter cream antibiotics, but I'm wondering...

The suggested grams of Bactroban per milliliter of saline vary from 0.0075 to 0.27 depending on the reference. I start with a 3 fluid ounce saline nasal spray bottle. This includes some preservatives, which I think is important for shelf life. I'll then squeeze a couple inches of Bactroban into the saline, either in the 3 oz. bottle, a smaller mixing bottle, or a spray pump bottle. Ultimately I want to use a pump spray (e.g. an old decongestant spray bottle) since I prefer these to the squeeze bottles usually sold with saline. They resulting concoction should be creamy white and not too thick. You don't want to clog the sprayer.

I then use three pumps per nostril twice a day. Some of it runs down the back of my throat; I try to spit this out rather than swallowing it. I'm trying to keep the antibiotic from getting into my stomach and possibly creating side-effects. I'll wake up with a little congestion and a scratchy throat from spraying just before bed. When the mucus has been clear/white for a day, I'll stop the spray.

Bactroban could also be mixed into a Neti bottle. I thought this would be really good, if my sinus passages were open, to squirt into and then leave in my sinus sloshing around. However, I don't think it is as effective as just doing the spray twice a day. It also take a lot more Bactroban cream to mix in with the Neti bottle.

Kids and Immunoglobulins
I believe  my particular problem is a combination of allergies, low immunoglobulin levels, and young kids.

I've been tested every year for immunoglobulin levels since 2009. My results are always right at the low threshold for total IgG and some of the subclasses. I believe this makes it harder for me to fight off bacterial infections such as those associated with sinusitis.

I've turned up Moraxella Catarrhalis bacteria on a couple of sinus cultures. Doing some research, kids' immune systems develop by about the time they're 2 years old. Before that, they might harbor more bacteria plus they are getting viruses from other kids. It seemed like my combination of low IgG's and young kids (born in 2006 and 2008) may have led to worse sinus problems.

Had a I known what I know now (especially if the Bactroban is really effective) I think I could have saved a lot of misery back to 2006.

During Spring and Fall allergy seasons
I'm still using Nasalcrom and Ceterizine during allergy seasons, but I stop when the pollen count goes down.
 
Baseline Maintenance
I'm still doing allergy shots (every three weeks). I'm also back on Monelukast (Singulair) after trying to go without it for a few months. When I'm on it I have no wheezing. When I was off it I had some wheezing and wanted to use an inhaler a few times. Now that it is generic and cheaper, it'll stay in my maintenance meds.

Zinc Lozenges
I've been taking these as soon as I feel a scratchy throat coming on. They seem to be making colds shorter and less intense.

Omeprazole Antacid
I was on this for more than a year after I asked and my ENT scoped me for reflux. I then became concerned with side-effects like mineral depletion and some GI issues I was having, so I tapered off. Tapering is important (search online) because there's a risk of getting really bad acid reflux when the medicine is taken away. I tapered off 40 mg/day over a few weeks and didn't have any issues. I also haven't had any problems since.

Betadine and Baby Shampoo
This has been superseded by the Bactroban spray mentioned above. Bactroban is much less irritating and seems much more effective than Betadine. I remember one case with Betadine where it was just slowing the onset of a sinus infection. Bactroban has prevented or stopped several.

No comments:

Post a Comment